If interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to the following link at indeed.com: Chemotherapy Nurse
Job Title: Chemotherapy Nurse
Organizational Structure: Reports to Chemotherapy Infusion Manager/Clinical Operations Officer
Basic Function and Scope of Responsibilities: Administer chemotherapeutic/biologic agents as well as participating in patient and family teaching regarding chemotherapeutic side effects and oncology disease process. Provides outpatient care to the oncology patient and collaborates with the physician as well as other team members to implement quality care.
- Provide direct nursing care for patients primarily in the administration of chemotherapy and related oncologic therapies.
- Educate patients and families regarding the side effects of chemotherapy/biotherapy and the oncology disease process.
- Act as a resource for patients, families and other health professionals.
- Coordinate chemotherapy orders with physicians and physician’s nurses.
- Mix and administer chemotherapy, hydration and other medications as ordered.
- Document nursing assessments, patient instruction, fluid and medication administration.
- Perform venipunctures, access implanted ports and maintain central line catheters.
- Maintain knowledge of reimbursement procedures and accurately document chemotherapy charges.
- Monitor patient’s clinical treatment by performing nursing assessments and providing appropriate and timely interventions.
- Follow established policies, procedures and objectives including safety, environmental and/or infection control standards.
- Communicate and coordinate with outside agencies, staff and patients to ensure a continuum of care.
- Properly evaluate laboratory findings.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Current Iowa Registered Nursing License
- Oncology Nursing Certification preferred
- Current credentials as required by Medical Facilities
- Current BCLS
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in oncology nursing, including chemotherapy administration
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to maintain a safe work environment
- Knowledge of CT Scans, X-rays, and other tests as deemed necessary
- Knowledge of Medical Oncology and Hematology Policy/Procedures
- Knowledge of and ability to operate computer software programs used by MOHA
- Knowledge of all HIPAA and confidentiality policies and procedures
Skills and Abilities
- Skill in computer keyboarding
- Skill in communication
- Skill in working well with other departments
- Skill in maintaining confidentiality of patients and MOHA business
- Skill in working as a team with co-workers
- Ability to organize and prioritize
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with other departments and personnel levels
- Ability to use community resource database computer software
- Work may be stressful due to continual interaction with others and nature of the medical specialty.
- Must possess the physical and mental abilities to perform the tasks normally associated with a support role including walking, bending, standing, reaching, and sitting.
- Requires all OSHA regulations to be followed.
- Daily exposure to biohazardous chemicals/drugs & blood/body fluids (high risk).
- Daily work with terminally ill patients.
- Varied work hours that may extend from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Travel may be required up to one (1) day per week.
Mission Cancer + Blood is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions. Mission Cancer + Blood, reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
Original Date: March 2013
Mission Cancer + Blood
1221 Pleasant Street, Suite 100, Des Moines, Iowa
411 Laurel Street, Suite A300, Des Moines, Iowa
12495 University Avenue, Suite 200, Clive, Iowa
Job Type: Full-timeBack to Careers Archive