If interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to the following link at indeed.com: Physician Nurse
Basic Function and Scope of Responsibilities:
Responsible for assisting in the management of patient care in collaboration with and under the direction of the physician. Initiate patient assessments & coordinate with a variety of team members to implement quality care. Appropriately utilize critical thinking skills to assess and intervene in urgent and emergent care of patients.
- Provides complete patient assessment, including vital signs, patient history and review of systems. Gathers and assesses objective and subjective data from the patient providing direct nursing care.
- Documents data and assessments in the patient record. Use a computer system and information technology to ensure standard documentation, coding, and completion.
- Educate patients and families regarding the side effects of chemotherapy and the oncology disease process.
- Act as a resource for patients, families and other health professionals.
- Serve as a scribe for the physician for documentation and orders.
- Triage incoming phone calls from patients and other healthcare providers, delegating appropriate calls to CMA.
- Coordinate chemotherapy orders with physicians.
- Mix and administer chemotherapy/biotherapy, hydration and other medications as ordered.
- Document nursing assessments, patient instruction and other patient information as deemed necessary.
- Maintain knowledge of reimbursement procedures and accurately document appropriate patient charges.
- Communicate and coordinate with outside agencies to ensure a continuum of care.
- Participate in hospital rounds at the discretion of the physician.
- Aid the physician on call during weekends at the physician’s discretion.
- Properly evaluate laboratory findings.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Current Iowa Registered Nursing License.
- Oncology Nursing Certification preferred.
- Current credentials as required by Medical Facilities.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in oncology nursing.
- Clinical knowledge regarding oncology care services and medical management of oncology patients.
- Knowledge of medical office functions.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to maintain a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of current developments in cancer diagnosis and therapy.
- Knowledge of radiology, lab, and other tests as deemed necessary.
- Knowledge of Mission Cancer + Blood/Procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate computer software programs used by Mission Cancer + Blood.
- Knowledge of all HIPAA and confidentiality policies and procedures.
Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in exercising initiative, judgment, discretion and decision-making to complete job responsibilities.
- Skill in planning and organizing work to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and communicate in a clear manner.
- Ability to administer chemotherapy and other treatment therapies.
- Ability to teach both clinical and non-clinical personnel regarding care and diagnostics services.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team to care for patients.
- Must have empathy and compassion during encounters with our oncology patients.
- Must have a pleasant, friendly personality.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize.
- Ability to use community resources for oncology patients.
- Work may be stressful due to continual interaction with others and nature of the medical specialty.
- Must possess the physical and mental abilities to perform the tasks normally associated with a support role including walking, bending, standing, reaching, and sitting.
Organizational Structure: Reports to Assigned Physician and Clinical Operations Officer
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions. Mission Cancer + Blood, reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
Mission Cancer + Blood is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.Back to Careers Archive