Full Job Description
If you are interested in this position, please submit a resume on Indeed.com by following this link.
Job Title: Phlebotomist
Organizational Structure: Reports to Lab Manager
Basic Function and Scope of Responsibilities: The phlebotomist performs venipuncture, VAD (port) access, PICC line and finger stick blood collection procedures to obtain specimens from patients for laboratory procedures used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. They are responsible for processing these specimens and performing moderate complexity and point of care testing in an accurate and timely manner, maintaining proper documentation and accurate recording of results. All testing is done in accordance with established policies and procedures and following CLIA requirements and regulations.
- Adhere to strict procedures and practice of safety precautions to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
- Explain phlebotomy related procedures to patients and family members in a professional and courteous manner.
- Utilize standard procedures to determine positive patient identification.
- Verify, complete, and resolve orders in the EMR (electronic medical record).
- Complete lab requisition orders and produce appropriate labels for specimen tubes in the LIS
(laboratory information system).
- Obtain blood specimens from patients as required using established blood-drawing techniques.
- Centrifuge appropriate tubes to obtain serum/plasma for testing.
- Perform moderate complexity or point of care testing following standard operating policies and procedures.
- Assist with collection, labeling, and transportation of other laboratory specimens as necessary.
- Record results in accordance with established policies, procedures and regulations.
- Perform various quality control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Maintain inventory of supplies, materials and equipment.
- Maintain and clean equipment and instruments as per established procedures and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Maintain records and documentation for proficiency testing and to meet CLIA requirements and regulations.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Phlebotomy experience preferred
- Knowledge of medical laboratory principles, standards, applications and tests.
- Knowledge of medical laboratory safety, cleanliness and infection control policies and regulations.
- Knowledge of medical laboratory equipment uses and maintenance.
Skills and Abilities
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
- Communication – Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in English
- Computer skills – Proficient ability to use a computer and EMR and LIS
- Confidentiality – Maintain patient, team member and employer confidentiality. Comply with all HIPAA regulations.
- Customer Service Oriented – Friendly, professional and respectful of patients and others.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a task
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt easily to changing conditions, work responsibilities and schedule.
- Positivity – Display a positive attitude and is a positive agent for change
- Teamwork – Work as part of a team and collaborate with co-workers
- Working under Pressure – Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations
- Multi-tasking – Ability to maintain focus and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
- Environmentally controlled laboratory and medical office environment.
- Fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations.
- Frequent exposure to bodily fluids.
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a laboratory and medical office environment.
- May wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as gown and mask.
- Disposable gloves are required for personnel performing phlebotomy techniques.
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members, providers, patients and their family members and other members of the public.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions. Mission Cancer + Blood, reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.