If you are interested in this position, please apply on Indeed.com by following this link: Lead Technician/Technologist
Basic Function and Scope of Responsibilities:
Provide leadership in the laboratory while completing the day to day activities of the lab including venipuncture, VAD (port) access, PICC line and finger stick blood collection procedures to obtain specimens from patients for laboratory testing used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease; resource for the processing of these specimens and the performing of moderate complexity and point of care testing in an accurate and timely manner; maintaining proper documentation and accurate recording of results; assures testing is done in accordance within established policies and procedures and following CLIA requirements and regulations. Performs additional projects and tasks assigned by the Lab Manager including, but not limited to, safety, proficiency testing, record keeping, training, and lab relations as it pertains to patients and Mission providers and other employees.
- Assure reports include pertinent information for interpretation and are reviewed and updated annually (reference ranges, critical ranges and units). Notify Lab Manager of any changes needed
- Assure that strict procedures and practice of safety precautions are followed to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases.
- Coordinate STAT testing and arranging a designated person to courier if needed.
- Ensure lab is appropriately stocked with all supplies including those that come from reference laboratories (MCL/Path Lab)
- Perform all other duties as assigned or necessary
- Foster unity and teamwork within the lab team
- Represent the organization in a professional and responsible manner
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology AND at least one year of laboratory training or experience. Medical Laboratory Science certification preferred.
- OR Associates degree in applied science, AND a Medical Technician certification with at least one year of laboratory training or experience
Phlebotomy experience preferred
- Knowledge of medical laboratory principles, policies, procedures, standards, applications, and tests
- Knowledge of medical laboratory safety, cleanliness and infection control policies and regulations
- Knowledge of medical laboratory equipment uses and maintenance
- Knowledge of quality control and Westgard Rules
Skills and Abilities:
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
- Communication – Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in English
- Computer skills – Proficient ability to use a computer and EMR and LIS
- Confidentiality – Maintain patient, team member and employer confidentiality. Comply with all HIPAA regulations.
- Customer Service Oriented – Friendly, professional, and respectful of patients and others.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a task
- Flexibility – Ability to adapt easily to changing conditions and work responsibilities
- Positivity – Display a positive attitude and is a positive agent for change
- Teamwork – Work as part of a team and collaborate with co-workers
- Working under Pressure – Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations
Multi-tasking – Ability to maintain focus and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
Reports to the Laboratory Manager
Physical surroundings: Medical office
Adverse working environment Work may be stressful due to continual interaction with others, long hours required and nature of the medical specialty.
- Environmentally controlled laboratory and medical office environment
- Fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations
- Frequent exposure to bodily fluids
- Possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, and other conditions common to a laboratory and medical office environment
- May wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as gown and mask
- Disposable gloves are required for personnel performing phlebotomy techniques.
- Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members, providers, patients and their family members and other members of the public
Physical Effort: Must possess the physical and mental abilities to perform the tasks normally associated with this role including walking, bending, standing, grasping, carrying and speaking. Occasional sitting, reaching, bending and stooping. Lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to50 pounds, with assistance if needed. Frequent use of computer, keyboard, copy/fax machine and phone.
Local Travel: Occasional, within city limits only
Domestic/International Travel: None
Extensive Hours: Varies due to need
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions. Mission Cancer + Blood reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete, and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
Mission Cancer + Blood is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
In the interest of ensuring the safety of our employees, patients and community, Mission has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy for COVID-19. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless granted a reasonable accommodation for disability, religious or other extenuating circumstances. New employees will be granted a reasonable time to come into compliance with the policy, if necessary.