Chemotherapy Pharmacy Technician
If you are interested in this position, please submit a resume on Indeed.com by following this link.
General Job Title: Chemotherapy Pharmacy Technician
Basic Function and Scope of Responsibilities:
To assure safe, aseptic, efficient, and cost-effective preparation of chemotherapy, biologic therapy, and supportive care medications for administration to Mission Cancer + Blood patients following all applicable regulations.
To work collaboratively with Clinical Practice Manager and Pharmacist to maintain adequate and cost-effective inventory of drugs and supplies.
– Appropriately mix and label chemotherapy, biologic therapy and supportive care medications.
– Unpacking daily drug order, verifying correctness, and refilling drugs into Lynx machine.
– Unpacking supply orders, verifying correctness, and delivering to correct stock location.
– Stocking of medication room, patient rooms and other areas as needed.
– Assistance in transporting needed drugs between offices.
– Monitoring of investigational drug supplies and records.
– Back-up maintenance of Lynx machines.
– Monitoring for correct inventory in Lynx machine.
– Tracking of special-order drugs.
– Update Pharmacist/Clinical Practice Manager as drugs become unavailable.
– Maintaining a clean hood and compounding room.
– Monitoring next day schedule to ensure sure drug supply is adequate.
– Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
– At least 2 years of experience preparing chemotherapy and biologic therapies preferred
– Current Iowa registration as a pharmacy technician
– Certification as a pharmacy technician (CPhT) preferred
– Knowledge of principles of chemotherapy/biologic compounding
– Knowledge of brand and generic drugs.
– Knowledge of mathematical calculation of chemotherapy dosing.
– Knowledge of proper handling and disposal of hazardous drugs.
– Knowledge of operations of biological safety cabinet.
– General knowledge of USP797/800 compliance requirements.
– General knowledge of medical management of oncology patient.
Skills and Abilities:
– Skill in exercising initiative, judgment, discretion and decision-making to complete job responsibilities
– Proficient in aseptic technique
– Skill in planning and organizing work to complete tasks in a timely manner.
– Strong verbal and written communication skills with excellent listening skills.
– Ability to be flexible working with healthcare teams
– Must have a pleasant, friendly personality with excellent communication skills.
Job Title this position reports: Clinical Practice Manager
Job Titles directly reporting to this position: None
Working Conditions: Work may be stressful at times due to continual interaction with others and the nature of the medical specialty.
Physical surroundings: Medical office
Adverse working environment Work may be stressful due to continual interaction with others, long hours required and nature of the medical specialty.
Physical Effort: Must possess the physical and mental abilities to perform the tasks normally associated with this role including walking, bending, standing, reaching, and sitting. Lifting up to 15 pounds of office or technology equipment.
Local Travel: Within the state of Iowa
Domestic/International Travel: None
Extensive Hours: Varies due to need
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions. Mission Cancer + Blood reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete, and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
Mission Cancer + Blood is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
In the interest of ensuring the safety of our employees, patients and community, Mission has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy for COVID-19. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless granted a reasonable accommodation for disability, religious or other extenuating circumstances. New employees will be granted a reasonable time to come into compliance with the policy, if necessary.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Des Moines, IA 50309: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Chemotherapy: 1 year (Preferred)
- Pharmacy Technician Certification (Preferred)